At the start of quarantine / COVID I couldn’t focus to read. I don’t know if I was in a reading funk or just the headspace I was in in the beginning of all of this, but then I finally kicked it back into gear and I’ve been reading like a mad woman!
I have have been a Kindle Unlimited user since it started and love it. It is the best $9.99/month ever! I read a lot of books from there. I also get a lot of books from my library + read via them via the Libby app. Check your local library! I go through spurts where I subscribe to Scribd which includes ebooks + audiobooks [if you click the link you can read / listen for free for a month] otherwise it’s $8.99/month, cheaper than audible and I can find quite a few books on there. I don’t do it year round, just in spurts! My subscription ends mid-June and I’m not sure I’ll subscribe again for a while.
Now that we’ve got it out of the way how I’m not blowing a shit ton of money on books, I want to share what I’ve been reading there’s been a few amazing reads!
- Whistleblower: My Journey to Silicon Valley and Fight for Justice at Uber by Susan Fowler
- This book was great. I had not even heard of this. And I’m pretty aware of what’s going on in the world / news wise!
- The Year of Yes: How to Dance it Out, Stand in the Sun and Be Your Own Person by Shonda Rhimes
- Mom gifted me this book a few years ago and I never read it, but I finally finished it tonight [Saturday at the time of writing this] and I loved it. I even teared up a few times, pride and such. I would LOVE to sit down and have a meal with her, or maybe a drink!
- Dear Girls by Ali Wong
- It appears I like to read autobiographies! This book was great, she is hilarious but it made me laugh out loud so many times. I’m sure if anyone walked in the hallway of my condo they would have thought I was nuts!
- Author Amy Daws — I wish I could tell you how I have discovered this author, but i would guess one of her books showed up as a recommended one, and I prefer to read the author in publication date! Bonus that she’s from the Midwest. [I believe NW Iowa / SE South Dakota area!] I’ve read six of her books so far, and making good progress on book seven.
- I did read the Demi Moore and Jessica Simpson books, they were both okay, I’m a big fan of autobiographies and learning about a person, especially when someone is kind of a hot mess but who isn’t?
Up next in queue is:
Hillbilly Elegy, Fear is my Homeboy, and Everything is Figureoutable to name a few.
I started the year out, making a goal of 75 books; and for a while I wasn’t doing well with staying on top of that goal and today I’m 9 books head of schedule with 37 of 75 read. I think I probably need to up the goal to 100 this year, but selfishly because I want to accomplish the goal I’ll wait til closer to the end of the year!
I am thankful that in this forced time at home, that I can keep myself content, mostly, reading.